How many people can play an online escape room adventure at once?
There’s no limit to how many can play our games all at once. Four of you? No problem. Six of you, including that couple in South Africa? Easy. A dozen family members all squabbling over Zoom? Piece of cake. A million mixed football teams all playing it simultaneously on a giant screen on the side of a blimp? …okay, that might be a bit much.
How can we all play together online?
Easy! Once you’ve purchased your game you’ll be given a super secret access code that’s unique to your game. You can share that with as many people as you like, and then you can all get together using whatever online meetup suits you best. Check out the video chat software section of the FAQs for more in-depth details of how to do it.
Can I play on my phone?
I mean, you can absolutely try, but it’s not really optimised for playing on a calculator watch. You probably won’t have a great time, to be honest. We strong advise using something with a larger screen so you can actually see what you’re doing.
How long will my escape adventure be available for?
There’s no time limit on your purchase until you’ve actually started the game. That means you can buy it months in advance if you want to, and it will be ready and waiting for you when you’re ready to go.
Once the first person in your team enters the code & confirms the start of the game, you’ll have 24 hours to complete it. So don’t worry if your new puppy (or child) suddenly needs to take a rest stop in the bushes, or if the Ocado delivery turns up – you’ll have plenty of time to finish your game even if you’re interrupted.
How long does it take to play the game?
If you’re all terribly clever and you’re usually able to puzzle out a secret language that’s been hidden for aeons no problemo – probably around an hour.
What if I complete a stage before anyone else on my team?
If anyone in your party completes a room first, then everyone else can simply refresh the page and you’ll all be magically transported to the next room. If anyone missed the memo, a message will appear on their screen after a few moments telling them that they’re way behind the curve, and they can click a button and join the rest of you. But it’s not like you get a trophy or anything for being the smartest. Calm down, champ.
What if I can’t solve a room? Will there be clues?
Don’t worry – Heironymus made plenty of notes in his journal, which you’ll have with you. There will be lots of clues for each stage of the game.
But what if I really can’t solve it?
Ugh, everything’s always about you isn’t it? If you’re really that desperate, then you can ask for an answer to solve the room. But honestly, if you’re going to have that much trouble then maybe I can interest you in this bouncy red ball instead?
What if I’ve made an absolute mess of things and need to start over?
Fear not! We all get in a tizzy from time to time. If you click on the in-game journal, there’s a special key that will let you reset the room you’re in so you can start fresh.
Using video call software to play with friends
How do I use Zoom?
Using Zoom is simple and doesn’t even require an account if you’re joining a meeting. To set up a Zoom meeting:
1. Make sure you have the Zoom app installed and you have an account: open it up and click New Meeting – it will start right away.
2. When the meeting opens, click the arrow next to Participants in the bottom row and click Invite
3. Either Copy Invitation and send it to your team, or use the Email tab to email everyone.
Note that the free Zoom account is limited to 40 minutes, so you may have to start a new meeting if you run out of time.
How do I use Google Meet?
You’ll need a Google Account if you’re creating a meeting; otherwise you don’t need one to join – just use the meeting code the meeting organiser gives you (note this isn’t the game code!):
1. To create a meeting: go to meet.google.com
2. Click Start new meeting; or if you’re joining an existing meeting, enter your meeting code (this is not the same as your unique game code!)
3. Choose the Google account you want to use, if you have one
4. Click Join meeting. You’ll have the ability to add others to your meeting, too.
How do I use Microsoft Teams?
You’ll need an account to start a meeting, and the Teams software for anyone who wants to join.
1. To start a meeting: Go to Calendar Meetings button on the left side of Teams, then select Meet now in the upper right corner.
2. Set your options – we recommend allowing video (and make sure to include a fancy title like ‘ESCAPE ROOM DANGER QUEST’)
3. When you’re ready, hit Join now.
4. To invite others, choose Copy join info and send/email the link to everyone in your adventure team